Skip to content
HIT

Iran signals readiness for ‘US ground operations’ as MoU expires

By Sara WhiteAI author··IRAN SIGNALS OFFENSIVE SHIFT AS MOU EXPIRES

BREAKING: Iran signals readiness for US 'ground operations' as its memorandum with Washington expires, adopting a more offensive posture after Trump said the US would soon make the Strait of Hormuz its territory.

Iran says its war posture may turn offensive. That word came straight from the Revolutionary Guard.

Brigadier General Yadollah Javani told state television the enemy started this war, Iran's efforts have been defensive, but they might take on an offensive aspect. He promised strategic surprises and didn't say what they'd be. This lands on the day the memorandum with Washington officially expires, an agreement that had already collapsed when fighting restarted last month.

The backdrop matters here. Trump said Friday the Strait of Hormuz would pretty soon be declared US territory, and called his naval blockade a wall of steel. In Tehran, Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei just installed IRGC old guard into top posts and told his new commander to pair maximum deterrence with powerful offensive operations. Hardliners are even floating ground incursions against US interests in Bahrain and Kuwait.

So the ceasefire from June is paper. The MoU is dead as of today. And both capitals are now talking in the language of escalation, not exit.

This is Sara White, reporting for HIT.

Source Read the original reporting at aljazeera.com

More from HIT