Strait of Hormuz shipping grinds to a halt ahead of U.S.-Iran ceasefire expiry
JUST IN: Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has ground to a halt, with no vessels registered to pass on Sunday, as the US-Iran ceasefire is set to expire Monday with no deal in sight.
Zero ships. That's how many vessels were registered to pass through the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday.
This is the waterway that carries a fifth of the world's oil, normally around 130 transits a day. Saturday managed five cargo ships. The same weekend a week earlier saw 31. Traffic is down 90 percent since the war began in February, and you can see the queue building here, tankers sitting at anchor, going nowhere.
The US-Iran ceasefire expires today with talks dead in the water. Iran's foreign minister Abbas Araghchi says there are no negotiations at all, just messages passed through Qatar and Pakistan. And Trump said last week he'll soon declare the strait a territory of the United States, to which Tehran replied it opens and closes under Iran's command only.
Here's what unsettles me. Brent crude is at 88 dollars and drifting lower. The oil market is calm, the water isn't. One of those two is wrong.
This is Sara White, reporting for HIT.
More from HIT
Zambia: Hichilema Takes Early Lead in Elections
HICHILEMA LEADS ZAMBIA VOTE WITH NEARLY 59%
U.S. and Iran Blow Through Deadline to Agree to a Broad Deal to End War
US-IRAN MISS DEADLINE FOR DEAL TO END WAR
More than 180,000 without power in Hawaii, 100 homes damaged as Lala weakens to tropical storm
LALA LEAVES 180,000 WITHOUT POWER IN HAWAII
Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history
DR CONGO EBOLA DEADLIEST EVER, 2,325 DEAD
Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea
TRUMP CUTS JOINT DRILLS WITH SOUTH KOREA
Kushner Meets With Hamas to Advance Trump’s Gaza Plan
KUSHNER MEETS HAMAS ON TRUMP GAZA PLAN
Stripe will reportedly acquire AI gateway startup OpenRouter for $7B+
STRIPE TO BUY OPENROUTER FOR OVER $7B
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
BARCELONA AGREE £65M DEAL FOR RODRI